Friday, June 11, 2010



278.4 lbs

Where to begin, where to begin...

Firstly, Yea on the weight-front!  I actually was gone from my abode for 7.5 days and managed to LOSE weight.  3 lbs even!  Awesome!  I'm pretty excited about that.  It was great to be back at Beach Town, even with the threat of the looming oil spill (for which I am sincerely soliciting your prayers so they will get the well stopped and at least have an end to the leak itself).  It's truly made a negative impact.  The beaches were sparsely attended and this was the first full week of the season.  Usually, you'd have to scope a place out at like 7:00 in the morning.  Now, you can walk out at 2:00 in the afternoon and grab a fairly large patch of beach all to yourself.  Anyway, I could write for days on this subject.  It just breaks my heart. 

On to less serious matters...

BFF arrived late Tuesday night.  Wednesday morning, we woke up about 9ish and went for a workout.  We then had a very healthy breakfast and I started backing.  I actually crammed 7 days' worth of clothing into my middle suitcase.  I still can't believe it made it all in.  I felt bad for the thing really.  I knew there wasn't a weight limit since we were driving and not flying, so I unzipped the extender (it has one built in which will expand the width of it, L-O-V-E It!) and loaded it up.  I threw my extra shoes and bathroom necessities into two grocery-totes-turned-carry-ons.  We finally got on the road about 1:30. 

Oh.  Let me share with you the best part.  I called the nice, upscale, beachfront hotel prior to our departure because I didn't think we'd make the 4:00pm checkin time.  Well, when on the phone I let them know that I'd need two beds and not one and here's the response I got:

"Oh, Ma'am, you don't have to worry about that.  You have a 3 bedroom suite.  You've been upgraded."  Pregnant Pause.  "Well.  Thank you.  I'll see you when I get there."  I totally didn't even mind that she called me ma'am.

We get to the hotel, we get our key and BFF is in charge of directing the bellhop with our luggage while I hurry off to find my first official gathering.  You must remember, this is for a work conference, but it's more like a big party.  These are all friendly industry colleagues.  We all know each other and mostly love each other.   We get together annually so it's always like a reunion.  There was a Meet & Greet that had already started so I ran over to it to offer my "Hi How Are Ya"s.  I must make nice with the masses.  I also have to rub in the fact that I have been upgraded to a tower suite whilst all the peasant peoples have been relegated to regular rooms.  I get fantastic reactions and grab two drinks from the complimentary bar (one is for BFF) and head up to said suite.

Well, I take the elevator to the 16th floor (there are only 17, btw).  After making it to the top, there's this door and no hallway.  I'm thinking "uh did I take the wrong elevator?"  Well, I push through the door and am now outside on a breezeway.  It's an entry like a motel.  Suddenly, the visions of my 3-bedroom palace shrink to a room with two queen beds and a hide-a-way.  How am I going to live this down?

I walk to the end of the corridor to my room.  Awesome!  At least it's a corner unit.  Noise can only come from one side and, in turn, I can only bother one neighbor.  Okay.  I open my door and Holy. Crap.  It really IS a palace!  Actually, it's a condo unit with a wrap-around balcony, full kitchen, washer/dryer unit, master suite to DIE for with a master bathroom to DIE for even more!  The master suite has a private balcony which became my second home.  I totally had the party pad for the week.  It was awesome.

There wasn't a night that I didn't see 3am.  As a matter of fact, Friday, I actually was greeted by the Sunrise.  Yikes.  It was a moment to say the least.

Food was provided either by the conference or by the hotel.  There was a fantab breakfast buffet which served omlettes and the best sausage gravy and biscuits.  I had them 3 mornings in a row.  I ate healthy lunches and barely touched a dinner and because of that, I maintained and even lost lbs!  Awesome!  I had the most awesome marinated portobello sandwich for lunch one day.  Scrum-Chus.

Friday Moms had driven down for a visit to the beach and Sunday BFF headed back home.  My Gramps was turning 81 on Tuesday (as in just this week...BFF's bday was Wednesday) so I planned on not coming home until then.  Since I'd be in town on a weekday and would not be working, I made an appt with my Dr whom I love.  I haven't found a replacement for her and don't know that I will.  I may just continue to plan mini-breaks around my visits with her.

I hadn't seen her since January of last year and hadn't had "the visit" since the summer before that, so I took care of The Works. I won't horrify you with all the details, but I did talk to her about my weight.  Turns out my highest weight was 287 lbs.  This past trip I was 273 lbs.  Now, before you get too excited, her scale has always ran 5 lbs lighter.  That means the 287 lbs was actually 292 lbs and the 273 lbs is actually 278 lbs.  That also means that I'm 13 lbs lighter than January 2009.  For the first time in as long as I can remember, my wieght has decreased from year to year. 

I feel pretty damn awesome about that.


Bookmark and Share


from 253 to a new me said...

That IS awesome!I'm jealous of your trip to the beach- just planned ours for mid July and hope that oil isnt a factor and that I look a little better in a bathing suit then I do today! Keep up the good work!!
- 253

Amanda said...

What an awesome trip!!!

Yeah, that oil spill is heartbreaking. I'm more toward the central part of the state and our beaches aren't yet hit, but it may be just a matter of time :(